Hi family!
Sounds like it's been a crazy week that no one wants to repeat! I'm so
glad to hear that dad is recovering and hearing about it all just strengthens my
testimony of the power that comes through fasting and prayers! Continue to get
better dad :) Things have been great down here in the South this past week! We
had transfer calls last night and my companion and I are both staying here for
another transfer. It will be interesting to see what happens from there because
our next transfer will be with the new mission president. I got to go to
Marksville on exchanges this past week and I LOVED it!! It's a small town and
the people there are hilarious and a decent amount of people talk with a cajun
accent. These are the type of people that will make you squirrel from dinner...
no joke! Luckily they made us jambalaya when I was there and it was some good
jambalaya too!! I absolutely loved the people there though! It's a very small
branch there and they actually use a triple wide trailer for their church
building :) Got to love the South! I got to be with Sister Stephens for the
exchange too and it was a blast to be with her! We both served around each
other for a transfer back in Baton Rouge and we actually had the same group of
friends at BYU-Idaho so it was really fun to work Marksville together for a few
days! Some fun stories that came from it all: We went to try and find this
less active that apparently lives in these cabin hotel things. Anyhow, we went
to the ones we thought she lived in and went to the front office but the lady
told us that only guys live in the ones there. We thanked her and then left and
when we went out to the car, it wouldn't start! The battery was dead and we had
to call the elders to come and help us. While we waited for them we went back
into the office and talked with the lady there. She was super nice and told us
that she actually had a lot of close friends that were members and she had met
with the missionaries a few times in the past. We had a great conversation with
her and we were able to just talk to her about her beliefs and her religious
background! When the elders got there we were able to give her a copy of the
Book of Mormon and she told us that we could come back anytime and talk with
her! It was wonderful! After we got the battery started we were driving down
and road and laughing because we would just imagine how God's hand had played in
it all. He sends us to this cabins and wants us to talk to his daughter there
and we talk to her about who lives in her cabins but not about the church like
God wanted us to, so he decides it's about time for the sisters to get a new
battery anyways so might as well use this to help them get the hint that they
need to talk to her more! I'm sure that's not how it all went but we were
laughing about how perfectly everything played through! After two hours at the
auto part store the elders were finally able to get the batter fixed (the
sisters ended up having to get a new battery two days later so apparently it was
only a temporary fix) we went to go visit this older couple that lives in the
ward. The wife is bed ridden and neither of them can hear very well. The
entire lesson was Sister Stephens and I yelling at the top of our lungs so they
could hear us. The best was when you would yell as loud as you could and then
the wife would just look at you with this blank stare and then say, "what" and
all you're thinking is, I don't know if I can yell any louder! And let me tell
ya, trying to read a scripture at the top of your lungs, is HARD!! and after I
finished yelling the scripture they both just looked at me with blank stares and
then just smiled and nodded.... I'm pretty sure they didn't hear a word of the
scripture :) They were an adorable couple though and bless their hearts!
All in all it was a great week! We had a wonderful Memorial Day yesterday
and we got to go visit people at the VA hospital with Bishop and Sister Green.
It's funny because back home it seems like Memorial day is all about
remembering all who have died. Here everyone wears red, white and blue and it's
mainly about the veterans and those who died serving for our country. It was
really cool! We even got to spend a few minutes at the Alexandria Memorial
Cemetery where they have the graves for a ton of veterans. It was really cool!!
I'll have to send y'all some of the pictures I took!
Thank y'all for your emails and I will continue to keep dad and Kristen and
everyone else in my prayers! Amiel and Melynda, good luck with selling your
house! I can't wait to see your new house one day! I love y'all and hope you
have a fantastic week!!
Love,
Sister Ogden
No comments:
Post a Comment