Monday, September 2, 2013

Tiny Steps This Week

Hi family!

   Sorry I'm late sending my letter today, the library opened later for Labor Day!  I loved getting ya'lls letters as usual and it sounds like a lot of exciting things are going on there around the West Coast!  Life is great here on the LSU campus.  I never realized just how large this campus is, but then it became very apparent once school started!  There are so many people!!! I also never realized just how small BYU-Idaho really was :)  Besides school starting it hasn't been too eventful of a week.  It was stressful more than everything else because everyone's schedules became busy all at once and we didn't have rides to our appointments anymore!  It is really hard covering the entire city of Baton Rouge when you don't have a car!!  We spent most of our time on campus and getting adjusted to life on campus with thousands of other people around :)  It is pretty overwhelming but everyday I am able to get a little bit more use to it!  We found out we finally get to start Free Speech Alley this next week and we are stoked about that!  This will give us a great chance to talk to people on campus and it allows others to come and ask us questions.  Not going to lie, I'm pretty terrified about bashers coming up to us but I just have to keep reminding myself that I have the Lord on my side and therefore all things are possible!  

    I have learned one of the best things about being on the LSU campus when school starts up is watching peoples' faces as their eyes meet our name tags.  People around the world really are beginning to recognize the Mormon Missionaries and it is fun to watch the surprise on their faces when they realize we are on the college campuses too!  Sometimes it is looks of confusion that they have as well :) We were also able to meet with Perry again this week and that was great!  We found out he still hasn't read the Book of Mormon so we sat down and read the first chapter of First Nephi with him.  It went really well and he said that he would read more of it on his own this weekend.  He was going to Texas for the weekend and we really hope he keeps his promise!  As for Lily, we are working right now on just building a relationship with her.  Because she started out with a different group of sisters we feel like we never got to really build that relationship with her and that is vital in regards to obtaining her trust.  We didn't get to meet with her at all this last week but we are hoping to meet with her this week and just have a fun conversation learning more about her and building that relationship!  Those are our only investigators right now but we are really hoping to meet a lot more people when Free Speech Alley begins!

   We continue to work with strengthening the ward members and teaching less actives.  We had one of our less actives come to church on his own yesterday and that was really exciting!!  Our main less active, Daniel, that we have been working with, is making huge progress!  Our last lesson with us he told us that as he started reading the scriptures again he felt really good and everything he read kept telling him that he needs to start praying and so he is going to pray.  When he told us, Sister Tuft and I just sat their with the greatest looks of excitement!  We knew this whole time that is what he had to do and it was great for him to come to that conclusion himself!!  We have our next appointment with him on Wednesday and we are really excited to see what progress he makes between now and then.  Yesterday he stayed for all three hours of church and that is the first time he has done that in at least the last three years!!

   I wish there was more to tell you.  The only thing I can think of is that LSU won their football game on Saturday so that was pretty exciting :)  Don't worry, I didn't watch the game, but whenever LSU wins it is posted ALL OVER the town!  We are continuing to enjoy life on bikes.  We found out that we are actually the only sisters in the entire mission that are on bikes.  All other sisters have a car, I thought that was pretty funny!  I really do like being on bikes though.  I think the only frustrating thing is when we have an appointment too far away to bike to and we can't find a ride, that's pretty hard!  And don't worry mom, I am working hard on eating nutritiously!    I have my multi-vitamins almost every morning and I'm starting to learn how to use our crockpot!  I could really use some crockpot recipes though!  If Melynda and Kristen want to look some up on Pinterest and email them to me, that would be awesome!!!!  I realize more and more each day how blessed I am to be serving a mission and representing our Savior Jesus Christ.  It is actually pretty intimidating and I just hope I am living up to the potential that is within me!  I know that I can receive help to meet that potential though and that's pretty awesome :)  I got a letter this week from the young women in our ward and they wrote some of the cutest things!  It reminded me of the example I am to younger girls in the church who see me and that really struck me.  One girl told me to show Satan no mercy so I think that is my new vision for my mission :)  I hope ya'll are having a wonderful Labor Day and enjoy the rest of your week!  Stay safe and make sure to share the gospel with someone new :)  I love you!!!

Love,  Sister Ogden

No comments:

Post a Comment