Monday, August 12, 2013

New Elder help, one busy day, a possible new investigator

Hi Family and friends!
     Thanks for your emails and prayers- now that I am on a bike I most definitely need those prayers!  First exciting news of the week... We have elders at LSU now!  We have the zone leaders working the area as well and I am really excited to see how much work we can do with two sets of missionaries.   It was difficult the first part of the week because we had to divide up our area with them and give them half the less actives we have been working with.  That was hard because you build up a relationship with these members and it is hard to hand them off to someone else.   It will make it easier for a lot of those we passed off though because they are guys and we have to have a member if we are to go visit them while the elders can stop by anytime to visit them. Elder Ageda and Elder Knowlton are the two elders.  Elder Ageda is from Guyana and he served at LSU for about four months at the beginning of the year.  He knows a lot of nonmembers around the area from when he was in the area previously and so he is excited to get in contact with them.  Also, a lot of people from free speech alley knew him so that will help having him there again!  
     This past weekend there was a YSA conference in Hattiesburg, Mississippi so pretty much everyone we get rides from and a lot of those we wanted to visit were gone.  It was a very slow weekend!   We had about seven of us at church yesterday and that was very entertaining.  Sister Tuft and I spoke with the high councilman and the elders gave both the prayers.  I was also the pianist for all three meetings.  We had to laugh too because our topic was helping less actives and about half the congregation was less actives.  Therefore, we were talking to them about rescuing themselves :)  The elders ended up teaching sunday school and then we taught combined priesthood relief society.  I think everyone who came was sick of the missionaries by the end because we literally ran the entire meeting!  I guess all those experiences in previous wards of speaking and teaching on the same day were preparing me for this!  All the other missionaries were making a big deal out of it and all I could think was- "uh... I'm use to it!"
     We haven't been able to get in contact with Lily which is quite the bummer!  We keep trying to contact her but she's not responding.  She has a friend named Jazmin who is in our ward but as been out of state all summer.  She just got back into town yesterday so we are hoping she can get in contact with her!  We did meet a new possible investigator on Friday!  Sister Tuft and I decided to ride the bus to campus that day, instead of biking, but unfortunately we missed the last bus home.  We didn't realize the last bus had already left though so we were waiting at the bus stop along with another guy named Perry who was in the same situation as us.  I had recently made a goal to talk to one new person per day so I sat there for about ten minutes trying to convince myself to have the courage and talk to him.  Finally I built up the courage and I honestly have no clue what I even asked him.  We started talking though and it was a great conversation.  It obviously came up that we were missionaries and then he started telling us about his beliefs.  He had a lot of beliefs that were similar to ours in the church, which made me really excited.  We listened to him talk for about an hour and then we realized we needed to get going because we were going to have to walk home and it was a long walk (all our member rides were at the YSA conference).  We got his number and asked if we could visit him and tell him about our beliefs.  He said yes and then asked which direction we were walking.  We told him the area we lived and it turned out that was were he was heading so he actually walked the first mile and a half with us.  It was really fun to talk to him and he was super nice!  We have an appointment set up with him for today, right before FHE.  He sent us a text yesterday saying he just wants it to be understood that he doesn't want to join our church but he really likes talking with us :)  We figured we would take what we can get!  Maybe he just doesn't know he wants to join the church :)
   That was pretty much our most exciting story of the week.  Biking continues to be an adventure!  I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! and that's kind of frustrating!  It does allow us to spend more time on campus though and that is where we find most of our people who we talk to!  I'm so grateful to be here at LSU for another transfer.  I have grown to love this ward so much it is going to be hard when I get transferred to a different area.  We have so many wonderful returned sister missionaries and they are so great to give us rides and go to lessons with us!  Everyone keeps telling me that we are spoiled at LSU because the bishopric is so amazing in working with us too!  It really is a great ward and the members teach me so much about how to love others and see them as they can become!   I never have to worry about a less active or non member not feeling welcomed at church or activities because our ward is so good at fellow-shipping!
    I hope ya'll have a wonderful week and mom, I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday!!!  And Kristen, I hope you are enjoying your new pet :)  I love you all so much and I am so grateful for all of your prayers!  I love this gospel and that love grows more and more everyday!  This is Christ's church upon the Earth and there is no doubt in my mind about that!  Thank you for all you have taught me and the love you have shown for me through the past 23 1/2 years :)  I love ya'll!!!


Love,
    Sister Ogden

No comments:

Post a Comment